Wednesday 6 September 2017

an experiment come down in a field

[[ A fairly true story from my childhood, when the Bell test pilots used to fly the x-22 over our county -- I really watched it -- and they eventually crashed one in a field behind a school friend's house. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_X-22 ]]

Many years later,
I tracked down a name,
a man named McAllister,
who said we were friends.
I no longer remember 
the days that we spent.

An experiment
come down
in a field

Out behind houses.
This we remember.
No longer ourselves,
but this we remember

An experiment
come down
in a field

A Mustang pulled up
to the edge of a field
with a mother and child
and a wreck in the field,
fallen from the sky,
and the grass on fire.

News crews take it in
and honest to god
government men
watch us watching them
and the thing from the sky
we now draw for our children.

When we were children
we used to watch it
flying over corn fields
flying over cows

He said I'd been to his birthday
We were best friends that year
I have no recollection, 
of childhood anymore
tell me more, Mr McAllister,
tell me who I used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment