Saturday 10 February 2018

Clear Water

I will go to the river
where the water's cold and clear
I will go to the [ only ] river
where the water's cold and clear
Push a boat out on the river
and hope to float far, far from here

I will roll to the ocean
where every river ever flowed
I will roll to the ocean
where every river ever flowed
Lose my self on the ocean
and watch the stars roll down below



[[

secular gospel -- gospel without gods, or with many

human spiritual

]]


[[

Simple blues, but it can be nudged into something better, maybe. 

- Not "I'm going down" like every other blues song, but "I will go to the river" in declaration, like Yeats' "I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree".

- Not "Lose myself" but "Lose my self" like a soul returning to the great sea of souls. Harder to hear than to see, but still possible.

- Literally, take a boat to the ocean and lie back to look up at the stars from horizon to horizon. That alone is lovely to contemplate.

- Figuratively, die. Merge with the infinite. You are above (or among) the stars. 

- No god, no soul. 


]]

No comments:

Post a Comment