Saturday 13 February 2021

it's a wonder

 

let's take a short tour of my long-term memory

there's somebody's car,
they're leaving,
we're left holding
the new door keys
we're moving in,
it's our first home,
and we're already
climbing the trees

we were monkeys
way back then
little monkeys
way back when

how old were we?
how old are we now?
how old will we ever be?
when, oh, oh, never mind comes over the hill
when, oh, oh, never mind comes around the bend

it's a wonder
our bones are still cracking
it's a wonder
our teeth are still clacking
it's a wonder
we can wonder at all
we can wonder at it all

there's the telephone,
it's ringing
we're all talking
on a party line
we're moving on,
it's party time,
and we're already
swinging, swinging, swinging free

there's my memory,
it's fading
I'm forgetting
everyone's name
I'm moving up,
back to the trees
and I'm already
slipping away

No comments:

Post a Comment