Sunday 19 November 2017

invasive species


[[ my genetics -- roots in the ground, then spread to another continent like my parents before me ]]

I pulled my father's 
self-consuming heart,
as he once got his,
up from the ground.

I pulled my mother's 
enfolding, collapsing mind,
as she once got hers,
up from the ground.

They never told us,
never warned us 
who we were,
where we came from

We reconstructed 
everything ourselves 
in perfect replica 
from plans they made 

and hid in our bones
long before the fall,
before the burst.

An invasive species, we 
fall from the sky, we
land and hold, we 
bring next to nothing and we 

learn to live with it, we
sink a tap root down, we
drive a spike through the earth, we
hold on tight, we

send a tap root down, we 
come up through the ground, we 
burst from earth, we 
turn towards the sun, we 

watch our flower flower, we 
green and flower and fade 
and dry and fly on this wind
somewhere on this wind 
that comes to pull us from ourselves

on this wind.

there is nothing 
I can't pull
from down in the dirt

No comments:

Post a Comment