Wednesday 22 November 2017

Whisky, whores, and gold (fuck this town)


[[ is it a Broadway song or a country song or a folk song? ]] 

Why should a man 
dig potatoes 
all day 
in these fields,
when there's gold 
to be dug 
from the ground? 

Why should a man 
hitch his wagon 
to the neighbor's 
pale girl,
when he could swing
a new dancer 
each night?

Why should a man 
grind out his life
in these 
four square walls,
when he could ride 
a straight line
till he's gone?

Why should a man
spend his days
signing checks
in this town,
when he could go
give a mountain
his name?

[[ first the noble-sounding stuff... ]] 

Ride 
with the morning behind you
Ride 
with the night in your eyes
Die 
with the stars rolling over your bones, but
Live
under infinite skies

[[ ...but then cut to the truth ]]

Course there's gold and whores and whisky,
Whores and whisky and gold.
Wouldn't want a girl to miss me
Wouldn't be a man to be told
All I want is whores and whisky
Give me whisky and whores
And gold.

I'm going out west, 
Cause fuck this town.
I will strike a match
I will burn it down

Fuck the thirteen colonies
Right from Maine on down
Fuck every city 
to the Mississippi
But, most of all, 
fuck this town.

I can't say I'm not going to miss you
I can't say I won't look around
But I can't stay another damned minute
Or I swear I will burn this place down

No comments:

Post a Comment