Tuesday 27 March 2018

Gone to Ontario

[[ Two brothers on opposite sides of the American civil war head up to a remote part of Canada for the duration. ]]

I would not raise a gun to my brother 
for the whole of the damned USA
so we're both heading up to Ontario
and keep each other out of harm's way

We will walk across the river at Niagara
where they've slung up the new suspension bridge
we'll ride out on the Great Western Railway
into the wilderness.

Maybe we'll live side by side with the Ojibwe.
Maybe we'll live on our own
Maybe we'll live on a boat on the bay
But I promise we'll live, 
and when the war ends, 
I promise we'll live and come home.

We could marry some girls of the wilderness
We could send off for brides in the mail
We could settle in the middle of nothing 
Or open an inn on the trail

Met a man said a place they call Lion's Head
Is half way between Equator and Pole
I think that's where we'll climb the escarpment
And watch the stars roll

No comments:

Post a Comment