Monday 11 February 2019

an evening of possibilities


[[ from a photo I saw -- New York City, 1943, with signs as described in the verses. This should be big band, jazz, a dance number in an old movie.  ]]

[[bridge, chorus, and other repetitive apparatus]]
night!
night is coming
night is coming on
night is coming on for us all

this is an evening
of possibilities,
my friend

rain!
rain is falling
rain may stop right now
rain may fall forever on us all

we could go down
to the subway
where the parallel
rails never meet

we could walk on
in the rain
where the universe
shines in the street

let's share an umbrella

[[verse 1]]
See that sign?
"Johnnie Walker",
three stories high.
We could go buy
Johnnie Walker
and drink it tonight.
Three stories high,
my friend.

[[verse 2]]
See that sign?
"Saludos, Amigos"
on the marquee?
We could watch
the dancing alpaca,
we could snort
at 'Lake Titicaca',
my friend.

[[verse 3]]
See that sign?
"The Human Comedy"
larger than life.
we could enjoy
the Human Comedy
I can't promise you
Andy Hardy tonight,
my friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment